Search This Blog

Radio Guy Tees

Radio Guy Tees
Radio Guy T-Shirts

Thursday 23 May 2013

The Most Dangerous Thing Ever?

Well,

Funny the way things work out, isn't it?

Here's the main subject of my post:


This devices are known as "helping hands" - they get a lot of use here - especially the magnifying glass. This thing was just left on the bench wherever I happened to have last thrown it.

This afternoon, whilst in the shack, actually occupied by some activities for my employer, I suddenly became aware of smoke rising from the bench. You guessed it, the May sunshine was beaming through the window, through the magnifier and was superbly focused on my wooden bench. Now, as I was in the room, the very small smoldering patch was soon extinguished. However had I not been here the consequences could have been significantly different - doesn't warrant thinking about really.

But here's some good news: I've got myself one of these:


It's a Rigol DSA815TG Spectrum Analyser. I have been looking at them for quite a while, there was a recent review of the device in RadCom which was the decision maker for me. The one I have includes the tracking generator.

I've only starting playing with it today, and have hooked it up to a crystal filter I had lying around here. This is what I find:


This is telling me lots of things about the filter - none of which I could have measured before. This is going to come in very handy....

Good egh?

No comments:

Post a Comment